Everybody likes pleasant surprises. They are the ‘bonus points’ of service. Most of them come as little unexpected touches, yet they go a long way to put our guests in a better mood and give them reasons to come back and/or recommend our facilities. I’m not referring to the ‘WOW’ experiences of guests; that will require a whole article in itself … I love creating those experiences!
What are your thoughts? That perhaps we should not be talking about ‘bonus points’ when we haven’t quite got our services consistently right?
I do miss the art of perfect table settings (such as above), when I visit our hotel restaurants. For far too long, all breakfasts and lunches are generally set up as buffets and you find our dining tables, literally ‘bare’. Below is a teaser.
Can you spot which of the above coffee-cup(s), A, B and C are well placed?
The promise last week was to continue the series Excellence is…in the details with what I call ‘bonus points’.
Here is a checklist you may consider. They are not in any particular order.
- Remembering guests/customers likes and dislikes.
- Consistency in providing attentive and respectful service.
- Making a ‘big deal’ of special occasions.
- Prompt resolution of complaints.
- Full length mirrors in ladies washrooms.
- Sparkling clean washrooms.
- Knowledgeable suggestions by service personnel.
- Anticipation of guest’s/customer’s needs.
- Placing the coffee cup handle at 4:00 position (refer to image C above).
- Extra napkins for gentlemen with beards or mustaches.
- Smaller portions at smaller prices.
- Interesting flower arrangements.
- Freshly squeezed juices.
Being detail-oriented requires more time and effort, but it is beneficial.
As detail-oriented persons, we must keep working on our attention to detail skills constantly. Here is a link of a clip; God is in the details (enjoy it).
God, indeed, is in the details!
Riddle for the week: Give it food and it will live; give it water and it will die.
Solution to last week’s riddle: What question can you never answer “yes” to?
Are you asleep?